If you know anything, anything at all about me, you will know that I am a huge custard, panna cotta, creme brule, creme caramel fan. So, as you see in the pictures above, I decided to use some of my leftover buttermilk from the buttermilk pancakes to make this custard.
1. 1 1/4 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
2. 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons of buttermilk
3. 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream
4. 1/4 cup whole milk
5. 1/2 cup sugar
1. Put the gelatin in a small bowl, cover with cold water and let soak for 5 minutes
2. Meanwhile, heat the buttermilk, cream and milk together in a saucepan, just below bowling point.
3. Add the sugar and stir until it has completely dissolved
4. Remove the gelatin from the soaking liquid and squeeze out any excess water
5. Add to the hot buttermilk mixture and stir until completely dissolved
6. Pour through a fine strainer and fill 4 dessert molds
7. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for several hours, or overnight until set
This makes for one delicious dessert. It is quick and easy for all you college students out there.
This recipe has not been modified.
This recipe is courtesy of The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook.