This is a quick and easy, shrimp baked in a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, parsley, dill and feta cheese, courtesy of simplyrecipes.com and then modified (a lot) to match my preferences and taste.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 to 1 1/4 lbs medium sized raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
- Pinch of salt, more to taste
- Pinch black pepper, more to taste
- 3 oz feta cheese (about 2/3 cup crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat oil in a large, oven-proof skillet on medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, reduce heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the juice thickens
- Remove from heat. Stir in the herbs, shrimp, feta cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Place pan in oven and bake, uncovered, until shrimp are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
Serve immediately with rice, pasta, or bread.
Yields 4 servings
While I do recommend eating this dish hot out of the oven, it can be eaten within a few days. Although, please note that failure to eat shrimp or other shellfish right after their made and later microwaving them will remove some of the texture and will cause them to taste rubbery.
On another note, here is how I modified the dish:
I am a fan of garlic, so of course I added much more garlic than I needed. It’s something about the taste. Mmmm mmm good.
I added a little less feta, because I did not have enough in the fridge. Here is a tip, work with what you have, and use those left overs.
I opted out of fresh parsley and used the dry herb instead. Normally I would not recommend doing something like that as it severely changes the flavor of the dish, but, if you do not have fresh herbs, dry one’s will do. However, please, please note, as I reiterate, the flavor profile and balance of the dish will change as a result.
And the smell of warm tomatoes is scrumptious!!